We went to the Chrism Mass at St Peter's Basilica. I just love this Mass because all the priests con-celebrate with their local bishop. We are very blessed because the bishop of Rome is the Holy Father. Unfortunately this year, we were not seated in the main part of the Basilica, but on the side of the altar, so we didn't see the procession of priests as they entered. Instead, we were sitting behind them during the Mass, which was kinda nifty.
Pope Francis - Chrism Mass
After Mass, we found it hard to get out because the exits near us were closed. We wandered around trying to get out, and found ourselves in the procession with the priests. It was very strange indeed. One of our friends was in the crowd and was laughing heartily, saying that we were VIPs.
This year we could not afford to have a big retreat for the Easter Triduum, so we planned something just for the ESM students at the Centro. It was open for others to join in, but we didn't advertise at all. As it turned out, we had over 100 people. It was really lovely.
The retreat began with the Mass of the Last Supper on Thursday night, followed by prayer at the 'Altar of Repose'....a little Garden of Gethsemane at the back of the church.
Washing of the Feet
On Friday morning, the students re-enacted the Via Crucis in St Peter's Square. It was a bit more difficult this year, because I didn't have as many people to help me set it up properly. For starters, I normally have someone go to the Square early to show the police that we have permission to be there. I didn't do it this year, so the police stopped us until they made a call to get approval. It was a bit annoying, but at least it drew more of a crowd. Anyway, it turned out beautifully in the end.
I did a short interview for Vatican Radio about it. I was deliriously tired, so I am not very coherent.
The Crucifixion
On Saturday night, we had the Easter Vigil. I just love this Mass. We start outside with the fire, which is used to light the Pascal Candle. Then we all process into the church which is in darkness, each holding a candle.
Service of Light
The Mass is a long one, but truly beautiful. It was really joyful. After spending 40 days meditating on the passion of Christ, it was wonderful to celebrate his resurrection. It was great to be able to sing 'Alleluia' again! After the Mass, we sang some songs of praise together. It was fun. You can watch this video if ya like.
On Sunday morning, we were supposed to go to St Peter's Square for Mass with the Pope. Kev and I were too tired, and slept instead. Then we went to the Centro for Easter lunch. We organised a caterer, but it still wasn't easy to coordinate all those people in such a small space. But it was great.
Easter lunch at the Centro
When it was all finished, we cleaned up and went back to the Domus. We were exhausted. Luckily, it was "beer o'clock" when we arrived, so we sat in the bar and had a drink.
Then we met up with Verna for dinner. It was so good to be able to spend time with our dear Aussie friend.
Verna, Hele, Kev
After din dins, we went home to sleep. We were sooooooooooo tired.
No comments:
Post a Comment