Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Palm Sunday

Palm Sunday was beautiful as usual. We met the students at school at 7:45am on Sunday morning to take them down to the Bronze Doors of the Vatican. After waiting in place for some time, we then processed out into St Peter's Square for the carrying of the palms. We had to form a circle around the obelisk. Then the Holy Father arrived and said the opening prayers. 

Pope Francis - beginning of Palm Sunday Mass

Then we processed to the front of the Square to take our places for Mass. We had great seats - right in the front. We were very surprised to see our friend Rohan (from Australia) sitting behind us. Small world!

The Mass was very lovely, as was the singing. I was very lucky because I could see the Pope through a small little space in between one of the Cardinal's kneelers. 

Pope Francis, a Cardinal and a Swiss Guard

I am really happy that we have such a warm, loving Pope. I am also glad that he speaks Italian really clearly so that I can understand almost everything he says! His homily was really amazing. Click here to read it.

Our Chaplain, Fr Charlie was one of the priests giving out Holy Communion.

Fr Charlie (second from left)

After Mass, the Pope got into his pope-mobile and did the rounds of the Square. The crowd was so excited. He went right past us.

Pope Francis

Then we took lots of photos while we had the palms and were so close to the Basilica.

 Rohan, Kev, Hele, Lou

 Hele, Kev and the ESM kids

Hele and Kev

During this time, Pope Francis was still whizzing around St Peter's Square. After some time, he came back near us again. It was amazing. He stopped several times to shake hands with people. I took this video of him  kissing a little baby. Then I took a video as he reached out and kissed a young boy who looked seriously ill. It was really beautiful.

We are so blessed to have another wonderful Pope!




No comments:

Post a Comment