Thursday, September 23, 2010

Retreat

We have just come back from a two day retreat at a convent in the Italian countryside, about one hour out of Rome. The theme of the retreat was The Good Sheperd. The participants in the retreat were the two Teams of the ESMs of Rome and Altotting. Fr Eric led us in reflections about how to be good leaders, using Scripture (Moses leading the Israelites out of slavery, and Jesus the Good Shepherd), and also the writings of St John Bosco, whose motivation in teaching the youth was, 'Education is a matter of the heart'.


Fr Eric suggested that we memorize Psalm 23. It was great to spend time, really meditating on this wonderful verse. Even if you already know it, can I suggest that you read it now? Good!

Psalm 23


"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want;

he makes me lie down in green pastures.

He leads me beside still waters;

he restores my soul.

He leads me in paths of righteousness;

for his own name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I fear no evil;

for thou art with me;

thy rod and thy staff, they confort me.

Thou preparest a table before me

in the presence of my enemies;

thou annointest my head with oil,

my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me

all the days of my life;

and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever"



It was so good to have time to listen to all the talks, to pray, to walk in the huge grounds, and eat such great food (most of the food was grown on site). It was especially good because we were all in silence, so there were no distractions.

By the end of the retreat, we were all well-rested and ready to start the new year of the ESM!


The Team members of ESM Rome and Altotting

No comments:

Post a Comment