Thursday, May 30, 2013

This and That

I am getting a bit behind on my blog posts....it's time to catch up.

After the mission in Lithuania, Kev and I needed a little break. We went back to Santa Marinella for a few days with Fr Eric. As we don't have our own house there anymore, we stayed in a convent overlooking the water.

Santa Marinella

We had a lovely time of eating, sleeping, praying, reading, watching movies, and lolling in the water.

On the day before Pentecost there was a gathering in St Peter's Square with the Pope and heaps of Ecclesial communities and movements. Earlier in the day, about 250 members of the Emmanuel Community (from around the world) got together for Mass and lunch.

Lauretta and Primo

Then we all headed down to St Peter's Square to 'get in line' for the Vigil. We had to wait ages before the gates opened...it was quite frustrating because there is nothing remotely like order in Italy. It rained for a bit, but most of the time it was stinking hot. But it was absolutely fantastic. The Pope spoke about the need to go out of the churches to proclaim the Good News. This was especially good for us as it was the day before our parish mission in one of the city churches.

 Some of the Irish Emmanuel Community

As usual, Pope Francis went through the Square greeting people. It was so much fun!

 Pope Francis

 Pope Francis

The next day there was Mass with the Pope in St Peter's Square. I have had this event in my calendar for over one year. Unfortunately my alarm didn't go off and I slept through it.

The mission went well...or so I hear. I spent hours every day in the church praying. I was too sick to go out on mission - I got bronchitis...aint nobody got time for that (watch this video for a laugh). I am better now!

No comments:

Post a Comment