Monday, February 25, 2013

Pope Benedict XVI - last public Angelus....and hanging around Rome

On Sunday we went to St Peter's Square for Pope Benedict's last Angelus. There were more than 200 000 people there - the crowds spilled out into the surrounding streets.

He gave the people some words of thanks, before leading us in prayer. He then addressed us in various languages with words of encouragement from the Gospel reading of the Transfiguration.

The crowd cheered in support when he said these words, "I hear this Word of God addressed to me in a special way at this moment in my life. The Lord has called me to 'scale the mountain', to dedicate myself still more to prayer and mediation. But this does not mean abandoning the Church. If God asks me this it is precisely so that I might continue to serve her with the same dedication and the same love with which I have tried to give up to now, but in a way more suitable to my age and strength. Let us call upon the intercession of the Virgin Mary: May she help all of us to always follow the Lord Jesus, in prayer and in works of Charity." (Vatican News Service)

During the whole time that the Pope was at his window, I tried not to take my eyes off him knowing that this would be the last time that I would ever see him. It was quite sad.

 Pope Benedict XVI


After the Angelus we decided to see a bit of Rome. I think our experience of last night's outing prompted us to get out more. First we wandered down to the Trevi Fountain (accidentally). I still get so lost in Rome, which is great because then I stumble across wonderful places.

 Kev at the Trevi Fountain

 Hele at the Trevi Fountain

Then we went to a delightful restaurant for lunch. It was nice to be inside because it was really really really cold outside. Which is why I had to buy myself a charming pink hat, which could conveniently double as a tea cosy.

 Hele at the Colosseum

This was Kev's first visit to the Colosseum. It only took three years to get there. We had a lot of fun.

 Kev and Hele at the Colosseum

 Kev - thumbs up...thumbs down

Hel

Then we walked around for a while, popping in to a few churches. Then we went to pray for a bit before Mass at the Church where the Emmanuel Community celebrates the Mass. We were both so tired, so had a good sleep. 

After Mass, we went to Campo dei Fiori for dinner with more friends!!!! 

Mercedes, Kev, Kathleen, Maurizio, Joan, Fr Alexander, Lou, Hel, Jill Ann

By this stage we were exhausted, so went home to sleep. So, we had a jam-packed weekend, and as you can see, we are quite popular!

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see you getting out a bit and enjoying the city... love the tea cosy hat and nice to see Kathleen at your dinner table. I do hope she got her pink jumper back... x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we only have 123 days left in Rome, so we need to make the most of it. I eventually returned Kathleen's jumper, about one month after you left. She just came back to Rome this weekend for a few days. Twas great to see her.

    ReplyDelete