Monday, July 25, 2011

Winter

We arrived in Sydney on Saturday 2nd July after a pretty good flight from Europe.


View of Sydney from the plane

It was almost 18 months since we left our homeland, and we can’t tell you how nice it is to be home. We stayed with Kev’s parents for two weeks. It took about one week to get over jetlag – falling asleep at about 3am each morning. We spent a lot of time catching up with the ever-growing Wagner family – it was nice to meet the new little editions. I also went up to the Gold Coast for a few days to see my darling aunty and uncle (Carmel and Jack) and cousin Tessie and her hubby and six kids. They are all mildly mad, so we had lots of fun.

Then, back in Sydney, we stayed with the MacDonald’s for some quality time. They are also wild and crazy, so it was super fun. They live three doors down from Jacinta (my bridesmaid) so it was a treat to see her and the kids too. I also got to see Dougie and Sandra and their little boy Joseph, who is my godson whom I had never met.


Hele and Sarsy


Hele and Cinti

After two weeks in Sydney, we flew down to Melbourne. We went from extreme heat in Rome, to cool in Sydney, to dang-cold in Melbourne. I am determined not to get sick - I have been fighting off the signs of a cold since we arrived in Australia, but it has not quite developed.

It is strange to be home after all this time, but in a way it seems as though we have never been away. We hadn’t seen most people for a year and a half, but were very blessed to have had visits from my brother Paul, and mum and dad during our time away. We have finally seen our new nephew Timmy (Alex and Steph’s second child) and can’t keep up with our extremely chatty and energetic godson Mikey.

Last weekend we went away with some good friends. We stayed a couple of nights in a lovely cabin in Red Hill. We didn’t do a lot....mostly caught up on old times, ate, drank (in sensible quantities of course) and played charades.


Dave, Maree, Donna, Mary, Hele, Kev, Pete, Nick



Enjoying a walk



What a handsome boy!


A candid photo - enjoying the grounds

It was a lovely spot, and it was so nice to breathe the fresh country air – it was kind of like the opposite to Rome! On Sunday we drove back to Melbourne with Dave and Maree, via the coast road. We stopped in Mornington for morning tea. I hadn’t been there in years and years. Twas such a wonderful weekend!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm here Hels, finally here!
    That's quite an effort, to think I made it to your blog in as short a time as twenty odd months. I know you will be so proud.
    I've been having a darn good snoop and it is all so meaty and fun. I'm also tripping out... We're heading to VIC in a few weeks for a wedding and guess where we are staying??? At the same cabin in Red Hill with the wacko Vaca's. My extraordinary nosey skills recognised the pictures on the wall from the stayz.com add...TRIPPY! Hope you guys didn't leave fleas in the bed.
    Stay cool and drop us a skype if I work out how to turn the darn thing on, should have that sorted before you return. Missing you more than you could know.
    x cus tess x

    ReplyDelete